What's a karat?
Karat designates the amount of pure gold in the metal combination. The higher the percent of gold found in the metal, the higher the karat. Below are the most common karats found in gold jewelry today.
24kt - 24 karat gold is 100% (or pure) gold and is an exceptionally soft metal, easily recognized by its orange-yellow color. Camelot, because of our commitment to the most modern manufacturing techniques, has developed the technology to produce 24kt rings that are more durable than those made by other manufacturers.
18kt - 18 karat gold contains 75% pure gold (18/24) and the remaining 25% of metals are alloys that are added to provide strength, durability, and variations in color. 18kt gold rings are typically more expensive then 14kt gold rings because more pure gold is present within the ring.
14kt - 58.3% of the metal in a 14kt ring is pure gold. 14kt is the most common gold blend because the alloys fused with the gold produce a more durable metal combination that will wear well over time. As you have probably seen, 14kt gold comes in a variety of colors.
10kt - 10 karat gold is the lowest karat that the U.S.A. legally considers gold. Like all gold combinations, the alloys mixed with pure gold will change its color and give it strength and durability.
Don't confuse karat with Carat. Spelled with a "K" indicates the metal and with a "C" refers to the weight of a stone.
What does that stamp in my ring mean?
By law, the jewelry manufacturer must stamp the ring with the exact gold karat as well as the company's trademark. (The country of origin is occasionally present.) In the U.S., you will see on your ring: 24kt, 18kt, 14kt or 10kt. In Europe, the rings may have stamps that read: .750, .583, .417 etc. (This represents the amount of pure gold in the ring.)
What is white gold?
A white gold ring is made the same way a yellow gold ring is made, but the alloys combined with the pure gold give the finished metal combination a white hue. Any number of gold/alloy combinations can be used to make gold appear white. After the new white colored gold ring is created, the finished ring is plated with a precious metal called rhodium. The rhodium finish gives the ring a bright luster that is impossible to produce when creating white gold alloy combinations.
The ring costs what?!
The price of a ring does not have to be a complete mystery. In a non-diamond band, the price is determined by the total weight of the ring and the labor/materials used to create and design each individual ring. The main factor in ascertaining the price of a ring from its weight is the karat percentage of gold. The higher the karat, the more expensive the ring, as gold is more expensive then the alloys mixed with it. Design and craftsmanship are more complicated to quantify and will change with each style. But as described in our manufacturing techniques section, technological developments have allowed manufacturers to construct better quality products at lower prices. Camelot's continuing commitment to manufacturing the best product has afforded us opportunities to make exceptional rings at lower prices!